Yaro Starak began in the online world in 1998. He graduated from college and ended up building an online business editing and proof reading. It was a business that was able to provide him a decent income and give him lifestyle freedom, but let’s face it – editing copy is boring. Yaro continued to create and eventually on the advice of a friend, he started a blog. Once he learned what you needed to do to make money blogging, Yaro quickly began making 5 figures a month and has never looked back. He’s here today to share what he has learned from being online in business over these years.
What was the start of your entrepreneurial spirit?
It wasn’t fully fledged from early on in my life. I didn’t know any entrepreneurs, so it wasn’t as prevalent when I started. I just knew I could not do a 9-5 job. It just wouldn’t work for me. I didn’t see myself aiming for a million dollars, but I just wanted to make enough to live off of. I graduated college never intending to take a 9-5 job, so I never even looked for one.
What’s the pathway to entrepreneurship?
Surround yourself with entrepreneurs and find support and just do it. Get customers and start figuring out how to service them.
How would you transition from a 9-5 job to being an entrepreneur today?
Think about your finances and map out a plan based on what you need financially. Starting as a side hustle is the best way to have a smooth transition with little risk. It’s hard to double your work load for a period of time to make it work, but it’s worth it.
Master a new skill in your spare time and turn it into a business.
What skills would you suggest someone master that wants to get into internet marketing?
Teaching yourself to do copywriting will ensure you have work for life. However, you should play to your strengths. Enhance your current strong skill set, rather than spending the time to try and make a weakness your strength.
How would you advise someone to start blogging today?
- Identify the need of the market
- Marrying the demand in the market with the skill set you have.
- Start making sales and getting customers.
What are marketing strategies to grow your blog?
- Content based marketing is my favorite way to grow a blog. Writing guest posts and other articles that help get some coverage. Write a great story for a really targeted need. Marketing is trust building. Content marketing has trust already built into it.
- A lot of bloggers are not marketers. Those that are will succeed. Those that aren’t won’t.
How will you know what will work for you?
- Find one achievement and celebrate it…even if it is small
- Understand what is working and what isn’t working so you can know what to keep doing or what to change.
3 Biggest mistakes as an entrepreneur?
- Not building an email list soon enough
- Jumping ship too quickly on ideas
- Changing formats too quickly – blogging, ebay, paid traffic, etc.
What are the Do’s and Don’ts of Starting out?
Do – taking action
Don’t – spend too much time preparing
Do – get help with technology
Do – be aware of your budget and plan outsourcing accordingly
Do – choose the right channel for you
Do – figure out what you are good at and spend time developing that skill
Yaro’s best advice:
Get in front of customers. You will not get clarity until you have a paying customer.
Connect with Yaro online at:
Next week don’t miss our interview with Neil Patel! He’s an incredible mind and you won’t want to miss out on his interview!
To Your F.U. Money!
Mike and Rob